The Specialty Nurse Accelerated Program (SNAP) at St. David's HealthCare is an elite training program designed to rapidly advance the careers of graduate nurses, as well as those seeking to move into another specialty.
SNAP occurs after the Immersion Residency (orientation). It is a 6-month program with a series of educational and clinical experiences developed to help nurses excel as they transition into a specialty nursing practice. This fellowship is committed to promoting the development of professionalism and confidence in nurses. Through SNAP, nurses increase their specialty knowledge base through experiential learning with an interdisciplinary team and includes:
- Clinical simulations
- Off-site rotations
- Clinical rotations
- Professional growth
- Case studies
- Evidence based best practice project
- Mentoring with Clinical Coaches
Specialties include, but are not limited to:
- Emergency Nursing
- Perioperative Nursing
- Critical Care Nursing
- Neonatal Intensive Care Nursing
- Medical/Surgical Nursing
- Labor and Delivery Nursing
- Neurological Nursing
- Rehabilitation Nursing
- Employed by St. David's HealthCare
- Have less than 3 years of general nursing experience
- Have less than 1 year experience in the specialty area of interest
- Submit SNAP application AFTER BEING HIRED by St. Davids
- Preferably have BSN and GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Possess Texan RN licensure or eligibility
- Utilization of specialty curriculum
- Content experts who share their knowledge and expertise
- Professional mentoring and support that continues into the second year of nursing
- New nurses share their experiences with other new nurses
- Debriefing sessions with a Certified Professional Facilitator
- Patient Simulation with state-of-the-art simulation technologies
- Work collaboratively with physicians, other departments and other hospitals
- Become involved with their specialty professional organization
- Develop critical thinking skills
- Participate in unit activities and committees
- Complete an evidence based practice project
- Write a professional development plan
This innovative program improves nurses' qualifications clinically, educationally and professionally, and is just one of the many ways St. David's HealthCare supports our nursing staff in their career development. The success of SNAP in promoting nursing excellence shows in the retention rate of nurses who participate in the program: 99 percent at one year vs. a national GN retention rate of 50-64 percent.
K - Critical Care
"The SNAP fellowship allowed me to gain a global perspective on how St. Davids functions. After SNAP, opportunities became available to me for teaching and meeting new people within the hospital and partnership that allowed me to grow professionally!"
A - Med/Surg
"I learned a great deal, feel more confident in my skills and have enjoyed collaborating with other departments. I look forward to making a difference and paying it forward."
K - Critical Care
"The benefits from the SNAP Fellowship were empowerment and ownership, more clinical knowledge, and increased interdisciplinary knowledge through rotations."
"The SNAP [evidence based] Best Practice project had a fantastically positive impact on our department."